Skip to main content

Student Visa

Studying at Newbold on a Student Visa


You are able to apply for a Student Visa to study here at the College if:

  • you are aged 16 and over
  • you have been offered an unconditional offer of a place on one of our programmes (you should receive a reference number which is known as a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once you receive your offer)
  • you can speak, read, write and understand English
  • you have enough money to support yourself and fund your studies


  • If you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months, you do not need to prove you have the money for your visa application

Special considerations

Please note: if you are from one of the following countries, you are listed under the “differential evidence requirement” and do not need to prove you have enough money.*


  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • The Dominican Republic
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macao
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States of America

*However, you may be asked to provide this evidence before you get a decision on your application.

Your knowledge of English

 Your knowledge of the English language is something you will need to prove when you apply for your visa.

You can provide this by:

  • Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT)
  • Having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study at a UK school that you began when you were under 18 


You will need to prove you can read, write, speak and understanding English to a certain level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale:

What you’re studying
Degree level or above Equivalent to CEFR level B2
Below degree level CEFR level B1


Please note: You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’ve completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in one of the following countries, or are from one of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • UK
  • USA


You also do not need to prove your knowledge of English if one of the following applies:

  • you’re a national of Canada
  • you’re applying to come to the UK for a study abroad programme as part of a university degree course in the USA
  • you proved your level of English in a previous visa application


For full details on Student Visa requirements and a step-by-step guide through the process, please visit the website with all the dedicated information.

More information


Please note: a lot of the information you find on this page has been cited from the website.