*LAST UPDATED: WEDNESDAY 11 MARCH 2020*
Health and Travel Advisory
This statement will be regularly updated based on the latest advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), World Health Organisation (WHO), and Public Health England (PHE).
The health, welfare and safety of students, staff and other members of the Newbold community is a top priority for College leadership, especially following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Members of our Crisis Management Group (CMG) are conferring regularly to monitor the situation closely and follow PHE and FCO advice to protect the health of all members of our community. The CMG will meet regularly for the foreseeable future.
We are aware that several cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Berkshire, with further cases in Bracknell and Wokingham, but have not been advised by PHE of any direct implications relating to these cases.
The College will continue to operate as normal and to abide by FCO government advice. We recommend that those travelling internationally either to or from Newbold continue to follow government travel advice as relevant to their origin and destination.
We will continue to update our advice according to government guidance and information so please check back here for the latest.
For advice or guidance, please contact us by email at: email@example.com
Government health and travel advice
Public Health England (PHE) advises the following measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus:
- If you cough or sneeze catch it with a tissue, put the tissue in a bin and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or hand sanitiser
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or hand sanitiser before cooking and eating, on arrival at any childcare or educational setting, after using the toilet, and before leaving the house
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Do not share items that come into contact with your mouth, such as cups and bottles
- If unwell do not share items such as bedding, dishes, pens and towels.
If you think that you may have the symptoms of the coronavirus please call NHS 111 for advice.
Travel advice for staff and students
Based on information from various government sources and following consultation with relevant staff and the College’s Crisis Management Group, Newbold has issued the following advice to staff and students for any College-related or personal travel, as at Tuesday 10 March 2020. This advice may change as we continue to monitor the situation:
- We will be carefully monitoring and reassessing the need for any College-related international travel.
- All UK College-related travel and activities will go ahead as planned, but staff and students have been asked to consider any risk and postpone travel if feasible.
- We are encouraging staff and students alike to reconsider any personal travel both internationally and within the UK, and to consider avoiding flights and airports and other forms of public transport, particularly over the coming breaks.
- We are asking that staff and students notify us of any international travel they are planning to take so that we can best safeguard the health of our community. Staff and students travelling to countries, areas or regions for which the UK government provides advice for returning travellers may be asked to isolate themselves for fourteen days before returning to campus.
Remember to practise good hygiene, including:
- Washing your hands with soap and water thoroughly, or using hand sanitiser, regularly
- Covering your mouth with a tissue or your sleeve if you sneeze, or sneezing into a tissue and discarding it in a rubbish bin immediately
- Being aware of your health both before travelling and on your return
- Avoiding contact with those who are unwell
Please refer to the following websites for advice on COVID-19 and implications for health and travel: